addictive
A JOURNAL
The relationship between what exists of the unseen
and the images that are created in one's mind
the like and dislike-ness of an image; the obscure, the observance,
the 'is' and 'isn't' between the possibilities of an image
how an image's "reality" is forced elsewhere, for psychological means.
Distant memories. Anti-photography as a kind of "what if"?

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Love notes

Unlike most people, when I reminisce about my High school days, I always get a warm and fuzzy feeling of love all over me. If you ask me why so... Why, when every one else's experience might be of regret or how they might shudder with the memory of awkwardness while I would blissfully smile and stare off into space?

High school was the time I found true love.

I remember it clearly, the 10 years did little to erase them from my memories. But the edges has grown soft with wear from revisiting them over and over. It was the second year of High School and the rather fortunate series of events led me to meet him.

For the school year of 2000 - 2001, Elizabeth Seton School's second year high school has a population that exceeded the regular 6 sections. Thus the 7th section was born. I skimmed over the list of sections for that year and found out that I was on the 7th extra section. I was bummed at first because I was not at the same section as my best friend was and that I wasn't that close to anyone on my new section. But as first day starts, my anxiety eases because I got great classmates and saw that I can forge great friendships then. I was down at first as I found out that the extra section would have to be on the 1st floor tucked in a corner while all the other 6 sections were on the 2nd floor of the building. Turns out this was a blessing as we all got close to each other.

In High school, I kept to my circle of friends and had little to no care for the hierarchy of class in our batch. I befriended everyone who was nice and talked to anyone who was open. He was loud, ran with the cool cats of the batch and cracked jokes inside the classroom ever so often.

By middle of the school year, he started noticing me. I was shy, near the top of my class academically and kept my nose on my books so I had no interest in school crushes and the likes. I ignored him, thinking he'll stop pestering me if he sees that I was not interested. But he kept on, rather persistent with his intentions and would go to amusing antics to win over my affection. I remember I kept asking myself then, what does he see in me as I was a meek girl and consider myself of average looks, nothing special to merit the attention he was giving me. And so, out of curiousity, I opened myself up, allowing to talk to him or spend a few moments with him during breaks.

This was when I found out he wasn't such a bad guy after all, he was fun to be with, he would make me laugh whenever I was with him and he made me feel like I was the only girl in the room when he looked at me. We spent a lot of time together and one day I told him we could be a couple.

His eyes lit up and he immediately announced this to everyone.

Fast forward to the year 2010. Last month, we spent our 10th year anniversary and announced our engagement to my family. Who would have thought that 10 years ago, in the early days of our relationship, when we were just joking around and kept each other company at school, that we would end up excited to spend the rest of our lives together?

His persistence, my curiousity,
his jokes, my laugh,
his faith, my trust,
his honesty, my openness
Our love gives me hope.

1 comment: